Sunday, February 12, 2006

I recently translated some school documents for a friend and found a question I actually thought I'd like to answer. Amazing, these kinds of papers are typically boring, but finally someone thought of a good question.
"Imagine you enter a room that has lots of shelves. On one of those shelves you find a box with your name on it. What would you find inside that box?"
Ok, first of all if the room were also mine, it would look like a museum (the way my bedroom looks currently). Lots of stuff everywhere. Honest, I could easily give people a tour of my room. But anyway, let's focus on the box. Inmediately I think it would HAVE to be a big box. I'm the kind of person that keeps souvenirs of almost every occasion worth remembering.
First item: undoubtedly lots of pictures or a huge photo album. Friends, family, vacation, school, etc. I'm almost sure I have at least one picture for anyone I really care about.
Second item: soccer ball and/or soccer trophies/medals/uniforms. Hey, what can I say? I can't remember any time that I wasn't having fun while playing. Awesome experiences.
Next: books. Again, tons of them. Well maybe I could narrow them down to the top ten best books I've read. We'd probably find Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter (all 6 of them!), The Outsiders, Cien Años de Soledad, amongst others in there.
My oldest teddy bear would also be in that box. I don't care how old I am, I will never turn my back on something I treasured so much in my childhood. Besides, he's really cute.
Obviously we'll also find something music related. Maybe a CD collection or CD player. I listen to music practically every time I have a chance. Doing homework, driving and exercising always involve music. I think finding a piano inside the box would be pretty exagerated, but we could put a picture of it instead.
Looking carefully inside the box, we find the next group of objects: jewelry. Mostly nothing glamorous, just those bracelets and necklaces that people have given me, which I really like not just because they're pretty, but because of who they're from. Yeah, kinda tacky, but it's the truth.
I guess that's mostly it... however, knowing how difficult it is for me to spring clean my room, I find it hard to believe that we'd find only those items in the box. There are probably other things of lesser importance that would be squished in the box as well. Invitations, tickets, drawings, an old diary, probably a favorite shirt, video games, and other things I can't think of right now (and that I'll remember as soon as I finish writing this) will be in there too.
I'm thinking I should probably make some space in the box. You never know what kind of things you'll want to keep to remember later on.

No comments: